Remember the recipe on Homemade Double Chocolate Chips Ice-Cream which I have posted couple of days ago? It was a really nice first experience for me in making homemade ice-cream without an ice-cream machine. It's like a dream come true for a little girl, to be able to make (endless supply of) ice-cream at the comfort of her own house! However, I have to be very honest to say that the texture of the ice-cream wasn't exactly what we hoped it will be. We had wanted the ice-cream to be a little more soft and a little more creamy. With that thought, it led us to our small adventure yesterday.
After doing some reading up online, we come to know that adding a little alcohol will help to prevent the ice-cream from over-freezing and at the same time, we wanted to bring down the sweetness of the dessert by a little bit. Hence, we end up replacing the sweetened condensed milk with evaporated milk instead. With that, we also decided to do some variations in the flavour and TADAH!! We have the Vodka Ice-Cream with Chocolate Chips / Chocolate Ice-Cream with Vodka & Walnuts for you.
Mind you, the taste of vodka was heavenly. I am not much of a drinker but I must admit that on a bright hot afternoon, this Vodka Ice-Cream really provides the cooling effect which I definitely need!
Make approximately 1 litre.
Chocolate chips : 1/2 cup each (dark & white chocolate chips)
Cocoa powder : 2 tbs (for the chocolate ice-cream)
Evaporated milk : 100 ml
Icing sugar : 80 g
Vanilla extract : 2 tsp
Vodka : 3 tbs
Walnuts : 1/2 cup
Whipping cream : 600 ml
1. Cream whipping cream, evaporated milk, icing sugar, vodka and vanilla extract using a electric mixer until the mixture is soft, thick and creamy.
2. Portion the mixture into two.
3. Vodka ice-cream with chocolate chips - For one of the portion, add in the dark chocolate chips and give it a good stir using a spatula to ensure the chocolate chips are evenly spread out within the mixture. Place this mixture in an anti-freeze container and leave it in the freezer to freeze.
4. Chocolate ice-cream with vodka & walnuts - For the other portion, add in cocoa powder, white chocolate chips and walnuts. Using a spatula, stir through the mixture to ensure that the chocolate chips and walnuts are spread out well. Place this mixture in another anti-freeze container and leave it in the freezer to freeze.
5. After an hour, remove both ice-cream mixtures from the freezer. As they starts to freeze near the edge, stir the individual ice-cream mixture using a spatula to break up any frozen sections within the ice-cream. This is to prevent the ice-cream from becoming overly firm. After which, return both ice-cream back to the freezer.
5. Check on the ice-cream every 45-60 minutes and make sure to stir it well as it freeze until the ice-cream is well frozen.
6. Remove the ice-cream from the freezer 5 minutes before serving. Top your ice-cream with chocolate or caramel sauce before serving.